Your Name: Hattie Compton-Moen

Grade Level: 9 (NZ Year 10)

School or Organization Name: St Margaret's College

Co-Presenter Name(s):

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: New Zealand

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): Students and Teachers

Short Session Description (one line): Coding and robotics are quickly becoming essential skills in the 21st century. But few students (and even fewer girls!) are taught computer science.

Full Session Description (as long as you would like):

As a girl passionate about computer science, I think it's incredibly important that younger girls are given the same amazing opportunities in technology that I was given at their age. I teach two different girls' robotics clubs so that I can continue to share the love of robotics and balance the gender inequality in technological fields. One belief of mine is that young children (especially girls) need female role models in technology, and I think it's really important that girls are not discouraged from these fields. I would be talking about my personal experience as a young girl in technology, along with my experiences teaching others and why I think this is so important, along with ideas for teachers to help start robotics clubs in their own communities.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session:

Tags: 2017STEMTools, 2017SocialJustice

Views: 68

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Hattie,

Congratulations to your brave step forward. We too (I and my friends) are trying to level the playground ensuring social justice. We do it through teaching marginalized women Computer Literacy the #techmums way http://techmums.co/

Hope to use your expertise as we plan to set up a Robotic Club in our school as well.

Shaison Antony is a Documentary Movie Maker. He is coming to Kerala to make a movie about our connected learning activities. Shall link up on Skype, once the conference is over.

Regards

Abhijith

May we plant a tree in your honor, Hattie?

Attachments:

Of course! That's so cool! I will send you the details via email. :) Thank you!

RSS

STEM + Entrepreneurship

#stuconf2017

The Learning Revolution

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service