Your Name:   Simran Sehdev

Grade Level:   XI

School or Organization Name:  Kamla Nehru Public School

Co-Presenter Name(s):   Gurpreet kaur and Shubham verma

Area of the World from Which You Will Present:  India.

Language in Which You Will Present:  English

Target Audience(s):   Youth, Teachers, Students, Presenters, Audience, Organisers, educators etc.

Short Session Description (one line):  Focus on how to BE Social, not on how to DO Social....

Full Session Description (as long as you would like):

Hello everyone!

Now a days, about 90% of students uses social media for different purposes such as chatting, commenting, spreading awareness, discussing issues, publicity etc.

Social media is an online platform to help perform oneself to a wider audience. Social media is a vast field to enhance a student’s personality globally. Social media are gaining in popularity every day.

{The average time spent on social networks per day: 1.72 hours (in 2015).The average number of hours a teenager spends online per week: 27 (2015).}. But being connected to social media all the time may seize and fragment one’s attention.

As a student is in a developing phase, thus he/she needs proper knowledge about social media before making it a part of their lives. Today, social media has become prominent part of student’s life.

As every coin has its two sides, Social media also has its two sides.  It has a POSITIVE impact as well as a NEGATIVE impact on Youth’s life.

The positives of social media are uncountable. Social media helps us in every possible way. Social media extended a great hand in EDUCATION which plays the most important role in a student’s life. Students are able to easily collaborate and communicate with teachers and one another. Students have easy and free access to resources online to help them learn. 59% of students use social networking to discuss educational topics and 50% use the sites to talk about school assignments.

There is a major role of “C-3” in youth’s life whose everyday work starts and ends on social media i.e.

*COMMUNICATION

*COORDINATION

*COLLABORATION

Social media allow to communicate with friends and this increased online communication strengthens those relationships. 52% of online youth say social media have helped their friendships. 88% say being online helps them stay in touch with friends they don't see regularly.

The  Negatives of Social media are not lacking behind. These also play a role in youth’s life but in totally a different way from positive one. Social media leads to the detriment of work and schools. Students who went online while studying scored 20% lower on tests. There is lack of Privacy too. Students are often too open and public with personal information when online. Most don't read privacy policies and may be unaware that their information may be used by third parties. 21% of teens believe it is safe and harmless to post personal information, including photos. As student’s are soft hearted, they can’t take the issues of cyber bullying and may commit suicide. 49.5% of students reported victimization by bullying online and 33.7% admitted to online bullying.

ARE SOCIAL MEDIA TAKING OVER ?   Social media sites can make youth not only more capable but also more inept. We sometimes share too much with too many, and we have to be conscious of that. Students have to be careful when approaching these things. Social media has become not only part of youth’s lives but the things their lives revolve around. It’s important yet difficult to retain the attitude that these sites may be useful, but that's all they are—tools, not lifestyles.

If my views seems interesting, I can explore my topic more. I would like to showcase my views and make all aware about  ”SOCIAL MEDIA”. I would like to do something because I am the YOUTH and I can change the world…

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session:

http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/10/08/social-networking-usage-2005-...

Tags: 2017SocialMedia

Views: 99

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice topic..

Thank you Shubham

Hello Simran,

I was going through the Student Conference website and was thrilled to see you presenting on a topic near to my heart!!

I started online socializing very recently. On 15 October 2016, to be specific. It was on Dr. Abdul Kalaam's birthday, I met my mentor Sebastian Panakal. He trains students to become lifelong educators!!

I and my friends Rebin Sadique and Benedict K.S. are presenting on CLASS: Connected Learning Activities through Social Service.

I hope to become an online teacher; Sebastian's students turned teachers!

Hy abhijith,
This topic is close to my heart too and that's why I want to make people aware about it.
Thanks for sharing your views and ideas of your work, I appreciate.
I also hope that u would become an online teacher and serve your best...

Simran

May we plant a tree in your honor, Simran?

Attachments:

I know it is somewhat late. Schools are closed during May, June here. I was able to launch the project only a couple of days ago. I made a blog post with details.

Shall send you photographs of saplings planted in your honor :)

#TeachersMatter #MothersMatter #womenofwiki #WOWsnehom

RSS

STEM + Entrepreneurship

#stuconf2017

The Learning Revolution

© 2024   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service